Thanks to Sari Medicoff, Motorsports Marketing Vice President, Magic Crown Racing, who helped compile this listing. A good amount of information was also extracted from a report publicized by l'Organisation de la Sécurité civile du Québec.  In addition, some information has been directly extracted from notices issued by various government agencies and departments.

Work-Related Assistance

Fired From Your Job? Companies do not have the right to fire you for not showing up because of a crisis situation. You can contact the Quebec Labor Commission at 800-265-1414 to find out what your rights are.

Is Your Employer Obliged to Pay For Lost Hours ? Can You Make Up For Lost Time? For questions on compensation relating to lost work time, contact the Commission de la santé et de la sécuritée du travail (CSST) at 514-873-3990.

Fiscal Obligations of Employers (Payroll Deductions) Questions Contact Revenue Quebec at 514-864-4530 or 1-888-413-2277.

Income Security Questions For Quebecers, contact Emploi et Solidarité at 514-873-4721 or 1-888-643-4721.

Employment Insurance Questions Contact Human Resources Canada 1-888-410-4686

Compensation Programs

Live in a Hydro Quebec-designated municipality? If you live in one of the municipalities designated by Hydro Quebec, you are entitled to receive financial assistance of $70 per person per seven-day period. You can keep the compensation even if power is restored before the end of the seven day period. You need to contact your municipality to receive compensation. Checks can be cashed at financial institutions and most commercial establishments in Quebec.

Without Power After January 12th? Financial assistance of $10 per day is available for each person without power after January 12th who do not live in one of the designated areas. You need to contact your municipality after power is restored. You can also refer to the Montreal Gazette for information relating to the Island of Montreal.

For Montreal Island Residents who are eligible, you can call 872-6606 for information.  You must be a permanent resident of the city of Montreal, you must have not had power for at least 24 hours after January 12th, and you must collect your check only after power has been restored.  You have to collect your check by February 15, 1998.

Quebec Government Program for People With Low Income:  The Quebec Government Program aimed at people with local income provides compensation for essential items, particularly food and groceries lost due to the situation. To be eligible, you must have no insurance covering the loss of food and groceries and have an annual family income of less than:

  • $15,000 in the case of a person living alone
  • $19,000 in the case of a two-person household
  • $24,000 in the case of a three-person household
  • $29,000 in the case of a household of four or more people

Within 30 days following reinstatement of your electrical power, you must go in person to the nearest Travail-Quebec centre or temporary service outlet where you will be asked to show a piece of indeitification, complete a declaration and provide your social insurance number (and if applicable, that of your spouse) along with the health insurance numbers of all household members.

You may be reiumbursed for your estimated losses, up to a maximum of 25% of the monthly income of  a household receiving income security benefits. The amount varies depending on the number of people in the household.  For further information, contact 514-873-4721 in the Montreal region or call 1-888-643-4721 toll free in the rest of Quebec.

Money Matters

If you've been evacuated from your apartment, do you have to pay your February rent?  The Rental Board has recommended that you do this unless you have written authorization advising otherwise.

I have specific problems with my apartment or rented home - where can I go to find out my rights? You can contact the Housing Hotline at 488-0412 or 990-0190. You can reach the rental board at 873-2245 in Montreal or at 888-302-2451.

Have Questions About Insurance? You can contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada at 514-288-6015 for requests about recovery for claims.

Ripped off by Price Gouging? Contact Option Consommateurs at 514-598-7288 or the Quebec Consumers' Association at 514-376-8517 to report any instances of gouging. These consumer groups are also warning people to be cautious of any overcharging or shoddy work by electricians, plumbers and tree-pruners.  You are also encouraged to report price gouging to the Federal Government's Industry Department at 1-800-348-5358.  Note: Under the Consumer Protection Act, a court may cancel or reduce the consumer's obligations bearing in mind the price paid and the circumstances under which the contract was concluded. You can contact l'Oiffce de la protection du consommateur at 514-873-3701 or 1-888-672-2556 for questions.

How Can I Get Compensated For Spoiled Food? Most homeowner and tenant insurance policies cover loss of food for up to $1,000. Additionally, if you are an income security beneficiary, you can receive compensation by submitting a list of spoiled food to your agent.

I was late on my credit card bill or loan - what can I do? Each financial institution and lender is setting different policies. In some cases, financial institutions are not charging penalties or interest if you are late if you contact them. You should contact the applicable companies to make arrangements.

I am late or unable to pay my utility and other bills - what can I do? Once again, each company has different policies. You should contact customer service at each company to make arrangements.

Does your business need financing? The Quebec Provinncial Government has announced that it will provided some assistance to businesses. They will guarntee up to 80% of loans of up to $50,000 and 70% of loans on up to $500,000.   Your bank or financial institution will still need to approve the loan. Contact them for details.

CIBC Customers CIBC is one of the chartered banks offering special financing arrangements for its customers. Their Ice Storm Relief Fund is offering $50 million of assistance. Small business and agricultural customers are able to get a line of credit of up to $50,000 and personal customers can get a line of credit of up to $10,000.  The line of credit offers 3 months interest free with no interest, the next 3 months only interest (at prime rate) is due. As with many other financial institutions, they are also offering customers alternative arrangements for mortgage payments, loans and VISA bills. Contact them at 1-800-465-CIBC or visit your branch for details.

Suffering from Stress

  • Quebec's Order of Psychologists has set up a free consultation service to deal with the daily stress. - In MTL region please call 738-1881 - outside MTL region please call 1 800 363-2644 - volunteers are taking calls 9am -5pm.
  • Free counselling is being offered through the Montreal General Hospital. Call 514-937-8383.

Food Assistance

Molson Beer Replacement: Molson Breweries is offering a free exchange for beer that has been frozen in both bottles and cans. You can call them at 1-800-MOLSON1.  You need to do so by February 28, 1998.

Food on South Shore: Five food distribution centres for people who have lost provisions due to the storm have been opened on the South Shore. You can get 3 days of supplies at the following: Foyer St. Antoine, 150 Grant St.; Action Nouvelle Vie, 916 Roland Therrien Blvd; St. Pie X Church, 1355 Lavallee St.; St. Robert Community Centre, 701 Duhamel St..; and Notre Dame de la Garde Parish, 1228 Green St.

Perishable Food Items and Food Poisoning:  For questions pertaining to perishable food items and food poisoning, please call the Quebec Agriculture Dept. at 1 800 463-5023.

Miscellaneous Assistance

Do you know of high school students who will be out of school for a couple more weeks? The Montreal Gazette reported 01/20/98 that a group of at least 57 students and 3 teachers from the South Shore will be part of "Project Freeze Lift". These people will be flown 01/21/98, courtesy of Canadian Airlines and the BC Department of Forests, to Grand Forks Secondary School in Grand Forks, BC. Students will attend school there and stay with local residents for the next two weeks. Please inform family members and friends about this project.  Students can be put on the waiting list or receive further information by calling Gordon Rosenoff, principal of St. John's School,  at 514-672-4010, Local 4702

Operation Solidaritie Not sure where else to call for else? Contact 1-800-636-AIDE (2433).

Generators for Farmers in Granby Area: Call 514-379-9284.

Airline Information:

  • Air Creebec - free seats from Montreal to Val d'Or and Rouyn-Noranda for those living on the South Shore without electricity. Includes return airfare. Call 800-567-6567
  • Canada 3000 - is allowing changes with no charge for flights booked before January 7th to various locations which leave before January 25th. Contact your travel agent for details.

Taking Care of Your Home

Hydro Quebec 800 790-2424
Regie du Batiment (plumbing) 873-6600 or (800)361-4568
Gaz Metropolitain (gas heating) 598-3222

Have Plumbing or Heating Problems? The Corporation of Master Mechancis and Pipefitters has a hotline to call to reach the 3 closest plumbers at 888-729-3289.

Information on Ice Build-up and other Damages to Homes: Contact the Regie de Batiment at: Montreal 873-6600; Laval 978-0508; and Longueuil at 928-7603. A special information line is also offered by the Association Provinciale des Constructeurs d'Habitations du Qubec at 353-9960, ex. 263.

Fallen Trees On Electrical Lines: For trees fallen on electrical lines try phoning Hydro at (800) 790-2424.

Fallen Trees and Other Damages: For fallen trees or any damage you may have call your municipality's public-works dept. Here are some municiapal phone numbers.

-Baie d'Urfe:457-3321
-Cote St.Luc:485-6868
-Deux Montagnes:473-1012
-Dollard des Ormeaux:684-1012
-Greenfield Park:466-8100
-Ile Bizard:620-6331
-La Prairie:444-6684
-Montreal North:328-4100
-Montreal West:484-8616
-Ste.Ann de Bellevue:457-8105
-Saint Bruno:653-2443
-Town of Mount Royal:734-2999
-Westmount: power 989-5201, trees 989-5311, incidents 989-5222

Ontario Assistance

Emergency Services: 613-632-5634

Ontario Provincial Police: 613-632-2729